Thank you to all of you who came along to the AGM on Monday 22nd. Here are the highlights!
- No-one has come forward to take on the role of Chair, so you're stuck with President Phil Butterworth as interim Chair for the foreseeable future! However, we really do need to recruit new villagers to join and hopefully take on significant roles in the future. Click on the button opposite to let us know if you want to help.
- We agreed to hold a Show in 2019; the first Saturday is 7th September 2019 and all of our generous landowners have given their permission
- We'll stage the 2019 Show in Dave & Anne Bodley's Orchard behind the Village Hall probably using the same hired-in "L" shape marquee, with Flowers and Flower arrangements being held in Christ Church Theale. Edwin & Sheila Badman have kindly agreed to use their field for parking and Trev Hunt allowing us to use his access roads.
- Finances are in good shape. We've made a small profit during the last year, so all good news!
- The Committee unanimously voted Carolyn & Peter Drew to become Honorary Members of the Flower Show in recognition of their many years of service to the Show.
- Sheila Badman has kindly agreed to take over from Lesley Luke as Minutes Secretary (many thanks to Lesley for all her sterling work over the last few years). All other officers remain the same.
- We agreed we would consider selling our (very) old canvas marquee and the later aluminium frame tent as we don't use them any more and we no longer have the manpower to offer them out to hire. The Committee will discuss options next year.
- We've added 4 more Patrons recently, so welcome to Ray & Rachel Bennett and Ken & Joan Graham. We're always looking for more Patrons to support the Show; if you're interested in joining our 45 other Patrons, leave a message on our contact telephone 01934 806157 and we'll get back to you, or click on the help button opposite.
- Work closely with the Theale Events team to help stage a wider range of events around the Parish.
As you can see we had a busy meeting and full minutes will be published soon. And we'll let you know about forthcoming social events to support the Flower Show in the New Year.
Phil Butterworth, President
Saturday 10th November
We had a superb evening at our Harvest Supper. The food was superb, so was the company of the nearly 40 guests. Even better was the after dinner speech by guest Peter Wright, Editor Emeritus of the Mail Group of Newspapers and Mudgley's very own "vigneron"!
Our grateful thanks to Peter for a very thought provoking dissertation on the sad loss of good local news reporting with so many local newspapers folding in recent years, largely due to the rise of Facebook and Google's newsfeeds and the onslaught of so-called "fake news". Our guests found it so interesting the questions and discussion after went on for 30 minutes after Peter's speech!
Thanks once again to all who came and supported the Flower show and to Lesley, Yvonne, Sheila, Cathy and Janet for providing a superb 3-course spread of food to support the evening!
Look forward to seeing you next year!
Flower Show 2018
A HUGE success with a massive pumpkin as the star exhibit
A massive nine-and-a-half stone pumpkin was a star exhibit at this year’s 75th anniversary Theale Flower Show which was one of the many entries for the Flower Show competition this year.
The Show was opened by this years Flower Queen, Grace Hunt supported by her Princesses, Eve Hutchison & Poppy Rousell. There were also high-quality exhibits in the vegetable & flower classes, despite the recent hot weather not being kind to growers. The children’s classes continue to impress with lots of inventive entries in a range of activities such as Lego models and handwriting. This was a bumper year in all sorts of ways – with Trevor Prideaux’s winning pumpkin even needing its own wheelbarrow to be transported.
A wide ranging display of memorabilia & photographs donated by villagers to mark the 75th Anniversary year of the Show contained gave a fascinating insight into how the Show has changed over the years without losing it’s distinct local character. Much fun was had by adults trying to find themselves pictured as children in photographs taken many years ago!
Over 400 people came to this year’s Show with entertainment from Bernard Coulter’s traditional Punch & Judy, children’s Face painting, a Flower Arranging demonstration, children’s activities, a Companion Dog Show kindly run by Westfield Vets.
The day was finished off by a rousing traditional Barn Dance staged by local folk band The Somerset Levellers together with a sumptuous BBQ.
Many thanks to local landowners, David & Anne Bodley, Edwin & Sheila Badman, Trev & Joyce Hunt, Bill & Cathy Woodroffe for the use of their land to stage the show and Christs Church Theale for use of the Church to stage the Flower classes.
Thanks also to Nethercott Nurseries for the flowers for the Flower Queen and attendants, to Jean Tincknell & Jan Tomes for their flower arranging and pottery demonstrations
And to the hard-working local team of organisers who make the Show the success it always is. Thank you to all!
Want to help the Flower show during 2018/2019? Call us on 01934 806157 and leave your contact details - we'd be happy to see you!